Thursday, August 20, 2009

Homemade Playdough

Tuesday, I made homemade playdough for my kids at school so I made some for Jaxon too since most of his playdough was dried out. I like to have playdough at my kids desk at school for them to play the first day while I'm putting up supplies. That way they are entertained without making a mess with other stuff.
Jaxon loved making it. My mom used to make it for me when it was little and it's the best stuff. If you don't let it dry out it will stay really well. You just don't get all the cool colors from the store bought stuff.

Here is the recipe:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 t. cream of tartar
1 T. vegetable oil
1 cup water

Mix together and cook over medium heat until mixture forms a ball. I lay it out on wax paper and knead well. Keep in covered container. For colored playdough, add food coloring before cooking.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Of course we made yellow (favorite color) and red (second favorite).
Photobucket

Jaxon had just had preschool so he wanted to make his name with the playdough. He did it all by himself until we got to the N then I helped.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I always used to eat this kind of playdough when I was little...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you use bakery grade food coloring you can get really vibrant colors! Wal-Mart usually has a cake decorating aisle, Wilton brand gel food coloring. - Tera

    ReplyDelete