Monday, January 26, 2015

Cub Scout Day Camp

I volunteered to help take the scouts to day camp at Camp Kanza at the end of May. It is hard for me to help that time of year because I've spent all year organizing and monitoring kids at school so I am kind of done with it when summer starts. Camp was only for 3 days and really the kids weren't too bad. The weather was just right - not too hot.

The first day I wasn't with Jaxon's group so I didn't get too many pictures of him. I was with his group the next 2 days. It ended up being more enjoyable than I thought but lets just say I'm not really scouting material. It's not my thing.

My group the first day. The groups were mixed with Scouts from other troops.
Untitled

Jemma and I painted together when I got home.
Untitled

This is the second day with Jaxon's group.
Untitled

Getting ready to make bottle rockets.
IMG_1168_2

Untitled

Lunch
Untitled

Getting ready to make a chair. This was such a mess. They only had like 2 power tools for everyone to use and the rest of us had to use screwdrivers. Did I tell you I'm not a woodsmen? So I'm relying on the other "experts". Once I finally start to figure out what we are doing we get started then we realize they had told us wrong and we had to completely start over when we were halfway through. Plus we were in this shed with no A/C but we couldn't open the doors because it was too windy. It was an experience to say the least. The end result was the kids loved it but what a process.

Untitled

He was not using the power tool. Somebody would go around and help with it but you had to wait and wait for them.
Untitled

Jaxon worked really hard on it and did most himself. When we had to start over the guy with the power tool helped a lot to get it going. BTW pretty much everyone had to start over because the leaders had messed up the directions.
Untitled

Finished! They actually were pretty cool when they were done.
IMG_1184_2

Jason's group. They had the troops mixed together so this was not just Lewis.
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Jaxon in line at the end of the day to get his chair branded.
Untitled

Didn't want to pose for a picture.
Untitled

DC = Day Camp 2014
Untitled

The Lewis Troop.
Untitled

Untitled

Jemma and I did nails that day. Doing nails means that she paints now.
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

She got tired of it so I only got halfdone. Gorgeous!
Untitled

Untitled

Day 3 - Final Day! Jason's group did the flag raising ceremony in the morning.
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Science experiments
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Jaxon and Gustavo getting ready to shoot their rockets.
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Getting ready to launch.
Untitled

Untitled

Shooting BB guns.
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Whoohoo!
Untitled

Second time.
IMG_1265_2

Untitled

Waiting his turn.
Untitled

Bows and Arrows was next. This was a lot harder than the boys thought it would be.
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

This was the ceremony at the end. Families were invited so Blake and Jemma drove up but then they wouldn't let them in because Jemma was wearing flip flops. I vaguely remember them talking about that but I didn't think it applied to little kids. We could have held the whole time. We weren't very happy about the situation but I barely knew what was going on because I didn't have good cell reception. Oh well.
Untitled

Each group had to do a skit. Here is Jaxon's group. It is called two suckers. It is supposed to be a candy shop and each kid asks for a candy and the person behind the "counter" - which is a stick held by two people - keeps telling them they don't have it. The last person asks what do they have and the person says, "Two suckers on a stick." while pointing to the two holding the stick.
Untitled

Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment