Friday, July 10, 2009

4th of July 2009/Jaxon's Cake

For the 4th we had a Wheaton family reunion in Hutchinson in the morning so we stayed the night before in a hotel. Wheatons are on my Granny's side. Her dad was a Wheaton and had 8 brothers and sisters (I think). All of them had a bunch of kids and on down. Granny had 35 first cousins! I have 4 first cousins. So there were a ton of cousins. It was interesting to hear the old stories and see pics of the family through the years.
We left around 1 to go to my parent's house. I had to finish getting Jaxon's Spongebob birthday cake ready.I had to frost the cake at Granny's house because my parent's A/C was on the fritz and upon return from Hutchinson found a bunch of things not working because of a bad lightning storm.
He had just said a yellow cake so I asked him if he wanted Spongebob since he likes him too and he said yes. Thank goodness I asked him what he wanted the cake to look like because when I showed him a picture of Spongebob he started pointing out what he didn't want. I was planning to make it a little more involved than what he wanted so it ended up easier on me. We did have a little glitch because he wanted it all yellow so I said I'll just make you a yellow cake but he wanted it to look like Spongebob. I know it is hard to reason with a 4 year old but I was not about to take time to work on this cake then have him crying about it saying he only wanted yellow or something. I showed him that it would be yellow (no brown pants) but that I needed to put black lines to outline it. Well that set him off. I tried to compromise and say the lines could be any color he wanted but he said he wanted them yellow. I tried to show him with markers what happens when we make yellow lines then color around them - all we see is yellow. He wasn't having it. Finally, I'm not really sure how, but we came to a consensus. So the cake does look a little funny but this is what he wanted and I figured it was his cake. (And his request were actually easier than what I would have attempted.) Oh and of course the inside of the cake was - you guessed it - yellow!

Here is the cake:
Getting Ready to Frost
Photobucket

I chickened out and my mom frosted it for me. I did the rest though.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Sneaking bites of frosting:
Photobucket

He wanted to help frost:
Photobucket

Done!
Photobucket

That night we went to Lewis for their 4th of July picnic and fireworks show. The show was pretty good and just the right amount of time. Jaxon really enjoyed the show and kept saying, "Oooh, that's my favorite color!" for all of them. Afterward, we went to my Granny's house to let off our own fireworks. Jaxon's favorites were Sparklers and the ones you throw down that pop.

Jaxon playing at the park:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. LOVE how his cake turned out. its SOOO cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake looks great...a lot better than anything I would have attempted!

    ReplyDelete