Saturday, September 15, 2012

Mud Run 2012

On August 26 mommy lost her mind for a minute and signed up to do a mud run. So the Saturday before we headed up to Hays to spend the night and be ready for the mud run in the morning. The good thing about the mud run was that we got to see a lot of friends from Satanta. We also have some friends from college that just moved to Hays so our weekend was more about friends that the run I was not really prepared for.

First we checked in the hotel. We ended up at the Holiday Inn Express which was new and it was really nice.

Sorry Jemma, not your bed.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Jumping on the bed. Granny's rule - only at motels.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Then we met the Burrows at the Sternberg museum. I've never been but always wanted to go. The museum has dinosaur stuff. For some reason Jaxon was scared of stuff but he got better. I swear kids are always in a new phase and the second you get used to it they change.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Emilia lovin on Jemma.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I thought this was a real guy.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Digging for fossils.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ella telling me all about it.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Exploration center.
Photobucket

Then we met the Howies and Kings back at the hotel for some swimming.

Ava and Jaxon
Photobucket

Photobucket

We went out to eat that night at Guiterrez but have no pics. Then at 8:30 the next morning Karen, Stacey, Brent and my friend from Lewis, Tara, were at the starting line for the 2 mile mud run. I originally signed up as a way to keep me focused on exercise with all we had going on this summer (moving) I knew it would be the first thing to go. Well I was right, if I had any time I felt I needed to pack, make phone calls, play with the kids, or sneak in a nap (3 am nights do that to you). I did get in some exercise but not really enough to be fully prepared but it was more than what I would have done if I hadn't signed up. So I had decided before the race completion was my goal and just surviving. I am not much of a long distance runner at all but I know my personality so a mud run seemed more like me. It is not just running. It actually really helped to have the obstacles to break it up for me and focus on just getting to the next obstacle. I kind of wish there was more obstacles. I enjoyed them more than running. There was mud obviously and things to climb and other stuff. Pretty quickly after we started I became more concerned for my safety and really didn't want to get hurt so I took my time getting through the mud and some other obstacles that were slick. My time was not great but I didn't finish last overall or even last in my heat so I am pleased. I still think it is better than a 5K or any other type of just running race for me. Maybe some day that will change but for now I will stick with those kind of races. And I will continue to keep exercising so next time I lose my mind and sign up, I will be prepared.

So I don't have any photos of me before or after the race. Some of my other friends did but I didn't get any. I did get some photos though of the kids mud bath. Everybody else left but we hung around. Went back to the motel for a shower, ate, and went to the mud bath at 1 for the kids. This is the mud pit that I had run through earlier. Jaxon was so excited. I tried to get him to take off his shoes and shirt and just go in his shorts but he wasn't into that. He had fun and it definitley wore him out.

Waiting for them to tell him he can go in.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Lining the kids up.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment